Ghana qualified for the playoff round after narrowly defeating South Africa 1-0 at the Cape Coast Stadium to finish first in Group G on goal difference.

Ghana got off to a good start, stringing passes together, but the South Africans were well-organized at the back, minimising the pressure.

After nine minutes, Bafana Bafana made their first incursion, with Nyiko Mobbie sending a long pass to Victor Letsoalo, who fouled Daniel Amartey in the process.

The Ghanaians were handed a major blow when Kudus Mohammed was injured in the 12th minute. His place was immediately filled by Daniel Kofi-Kyereh.

Jordan Ayew was sent through on the 14th minute, cutting in from the right, but was stopped by an opponent, resulting in a corner kick. Iddrisu Baba set up Kofi-Kyereh with a superb mirror pass, but he could not convert his initial attempt

Siyanda Xulu cut out Mubarak Wakaso’s third consecutive weak corner kick, resulting in a squandered South African counter-attack.

Ghana secured another corner in the 31st minute and Kofi-Kyereh unleashed a long one that eluded everyone only for Daniel Amartey to be pulled down by Rushine De Reuck in an attempt to connect and the referee Ndiaye Maguette pointed to the penalty spot. Andre Ayew stepped up and scored from the spot for the opener.

In the second half, Ghana came out firing and attacking with renewed purpose. In the 54th minute, Ayew’s free kick flew straight at Ronwen Williams. Teboho Mokoena twisted and turned and delivered a long ball to Victor Letsoalo, but goalkeeper Jojo Wollacott was quick off his line to handle the threat.

After Percy Tau was hauled down in the area as the game came to a close and the South Africans tried to grab an equaliser, demands for a Bafana Bafana penalty erupted. Referee Maguette, on the other hand, was unimpressed and waved play on.

The game ended at Cape Coast after three minutes of extra time and Ghana advanced to the playoff round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, denying South Africa the opportunity to compete in Qatar.